- Steam now lets you use cash to pay for games
- Access to purchases will be granted 72 hours after receipt of payment
- Old Rs. 500 and Rs. 1,000 notes are not accepted
Along with debit cards, credit cards, bitcoin, net banking and digital wallets, Steam now lets you buy games via cash on delivery as well. This was discovered by Gadgets 360 readers who tipped us off. What this means is, you aren’t dependent on a digital payment method any more.
How to buy games on Steam in India using cash on delivery
1. After adding an item to your cart on Steam, pick Cash on Delivery as a payment option.
2. You will be redirected to a page run by Novaplay — Valve’s partner in India. Here you can put your billing and shipping information.
3. When you enter your details, a Nova executive will get in touch to collect the cash amount.
4. Your order will be emailed to you in 72 hours of receiving the payment
If you were thinking of using this to offload old Rs. 500 and Rs. 1,000 notes, think again. The site clearly states that in accordance with the demonitisation drive it will not accept old notes.
When contacted by Gadgets 360 about some of the issues noticed, Novaplay co-founder Akshat Rathee confirmed via text message that the company needs to “iron out the kinks and that’s why it soft launched”.
Keep in mind that much like the presence of other local payment options such as net banking and digital wallets, it’s very much work in progress at the moment.